Tuition Insurance

A Message from the Dean:

All of us at Wake Forest, especially those of us who advise students and their families, are concerned about students who suffer serious illness and accidents and have to leave the University before a semester is completed. In many instances it means not only the loss of time invested in studies, but also the loss of the semester’s costs. Situations where families are forced to choose between major financial losses and their child’s health are particularly difficult. This is why we urge you to consider the low-cost tuition insurance plan Wake Forest offers through A.W.G. DEWAR, Inc., or to consider other options to protect your family from experiencing this possibility.

Dr. E. Ashley Hairston
Associate Dean for Academic Advising

An unexpected withdrawal due to sickness or injury can mean significant financial consequences for families. Wake Forest offers an elective tuition insurance plan through A.W.G. Dewar, Inc. that will help minimize financial loss if a student suffers a serious illness or accident and must withdraw before the end of a semester.

This plan extends and enhances the University’s published refund policy. In cases of withdrawal due to accident, illness or mental health conditions as defined in the plan, the plan assures up to a 75% refund throughout the term.

Learn more about the plan or apply »

Important: DEWAR will not accept applications after the first day of classes.

Questions? Contact DEWAR at 617.774.1555 or email

How to Submit a Claim

Claim forms mentioned below can be found here.

  1. Contact the Office of Academic Advising at (336) 758-3320 to complete the official withdrawal process.
  2. Print and complete Step I of the College Medical Withdrawal Certificate – Student Information Release form. and mail the original copy to:

    Wake Forest Student Financial Services

    P.O. Box 7366
    Winston-Salem, NC 27109
    Wake Forest will complete Steps II & III and mail the form to A.W.G. Dewar, Inc.
  3. Print and complete Step I of the College Medical Withdrawal Certificate – Student Medical Authorization form. Have the attending physician complete Step II. Mail the original form directly to:

    A.W.G. Dewar, Inc.

    4 Batterymarch Park
    Quincy, MA 02169-7468
  4. Dewar will match up both forms and process the claim.

Student Health Insurance

All undergraduate students are required to have medical insurance coverage. This fee covers the premium for the University’s Health Insurance Plan (HIP).

Premiums are determined each year and published on the University website. Students may waive enrollment if they carry comparable personal health insurance coverage providing appropriate access to health care services in the Winston-Salem area. International students may waive enrollment if they are covered by approved international plans or have coverage through an approved plan provided by a U.S.-based employer.

Learn more »
View premiums »