Financial Accounting and Reporting provides services that include interim and year-end financial closings (e.g. journal entries, Cognos financial reports, University financial statements), general ledger maintenance (e.g. new funds, departments, accounts, activity codes and location codes), capital projects, fixed assets and equipment inventories, sponsored grants, endowment and gift accounting, and banking and treasury.
The information contained on this page will assist with the following:
- Year-End and Interim Closings
- Journal Entries
- Financial Reporting via Cognos
- Reporting Deadlines
Please feel free to forward any reporting questions you have to Valarie Waddell and Jennifer Killingsworth. Thank you for visiting – we look forward to serving you.
Banner Financial Training through Cognos
The documents below are critical to proper financial reporting. The macros are used to format reports once they are produced through Cognos. Be sure to save this file in the D:\Userdata\Excel directory.
- Campus Financial Reporting Instruction Manual
- Campus Financial Reporting Quickguide
- Demonstration Video: Using Excel Macros for Cognos 8.4 Reports
- Downloading and Installing Macros for Excel 2007 Instructions
- Downloading and Installing Macros for Excel 2010 Instructions
- Financial Reporting Macros
This presentation will assist managers of petty cash and change funds in understanding their responsibilities for disbursement, documentation and safeguarding of University resources.
This presentation will provide guidance to the campus community on the steps necessary to prepare, support, approve, and submit journal entries.
Monthly Reporting Deadlines
- All journal entries are due to Financial & Accounting Services (FAS) by the 2nd business day after month end.
- Cash receipts received by FAS on or before 11:00 a.m. by the close of the last business day of the month will appear on your monthly reports.
- Monthly reports will be available by the morning of the 6th business day of the following month.
- 2012-13 Closing Calendar provides important dates for FY13.
- 2013-14 Closing Calendar provides important dates for FY14.
Chart of Accounts Dictionary
Below is a listing of commonly used expense accounts, including definitions, examples, related accounts, and commonly mistaken accounts. Questions regarding this dictionary should be directed to email@example.com.
Fiscal Year End
For information, procedures, and all important information regarding year end, please go to the FYE Administrative Procedure.
Click the Forms tab to view the following critical year-end related forms:
- Travel & Entertainment Voucher
- Expenditure Voucher
- Deposit Accruals
- Deposit Revenue
Links to other important information:
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the monthly deadlines/cut-off days?
A. All journal entries are due to Financial & Accounting Services (FAS) by the 2nd business day after month end.Cash receipts received by FAS by 11am of the last business day of the month will appear on your monthly reports.
Q. When are monthly reports available?
A. Monthly reports will be available by the morning of the 6th business day of the following month. The Cognos user listserv will be notified via email when reports are ready.
Q. How do I read my monthly reports?
A. Please sign up for a Cognos Financial Reporting Training through the PDC website or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. How do I get questions researched?
A. Questions about invoices and payments should be directed to Accounts Payable. You may email any questions to email@example.com.
Questions regarding deposits should be directed to Accounts Receivable by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions regarding payroll entries should be directed to Payroll. Contact Payroll with your questions by emailing email@example.com.
All other questions should be directed to Ruth Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Q. Can I receive goods during this fiscal year and expense it in the next fiscal year?
A. If an item is received by June 30, it must be expensed in June. There are no exceptions to the rule.
Q. How do I receive a copy of a department’s monthly report?
A. Please request approval for access to Cognos by placing a ticket through the Remedy system.